What do you want to know?
While this site
attempts to put Verwood History into a Chronological
order with reminiscences
and articles and new information as it is
found. If you want a good read about Verwood
History then why not purchase a copy of the
book by Jill Coulthard - "Village to Town"
which is packed with information.
awarded the BEM in 2014
New article has been added about the awarding of the British Empire
Medal to Verwood’s Pam Reeks
for services to the community in the 2014
book is available about the village called,
"VERWOOD VILLAGE TO
It was written and compiled by
Priced at £10 it
is still available
Verwood Heathland Heritage
(9am – 12 noon, Mon. to Sat.).
have been 2 further publications in 2010.
The book celebrating 50 years of
which includes 50 years of
memories and anecdotes
with photos, some in colour,
of the Memorial Hall.
published in 2009 by
Verwood Methosit Church celebrates
Years at Vicarage Road".
A Report of the pre-history of Methodism in Verwood
prior to 1909 and a record of Activities and
personal memories of the years 1909 until 2009.
||This site contains
Verwood general community Information including the
"What's On" page.
||This is the site of
"Verwood Heathland Heritage Centre".
||This is the site of
"Verwood & 3LX" Twinning
is the site that is aimed at giving information
about the history of Verwood including its
chronology with reminiscences.
Verwood, Dorset UK. - Where is
(Developed from FAIRWOOD, FAYREWOOD, WRTWOOD & WEIRWOOD)
was first recorded in 1329 and is situated on the far
eastern boundary of Dorset near the Hampshire border, five
miles north-west of Ringwood and about twelve miles north of
Bournemouth. It became a Civic Parish in l894. Previously
it's history was recorded under Cranborne.
Its ALTITUDE above sea level
varies between 70 and 130 feet. The CLIMATE is mild and the
average RAINFALL is approximately 32 inches.
To the north and east lie areas
of coniferous forests and to the west are mixed farms. There
are two tracks of heath which are of Special Scientific
Verwood, Dorset UK. - Brief
For centuries it
was a small, scattered settlement whose inhabitants made a
living from the surrounding heathland. The clay and
sand deposits gave rise to potteries and brick and tile
yards in the early 1900's, with the heath providing
materials for besom making, fodder & peat.
Eventually it became the centre of production of the
distinctive yellowy-green glazed pots. Potters, brickmakers,
broom makers and the like all plied their trades alongside
the traditional agricultural workers. Today it
is a fast growing town of some 14,000 and rising.
Development of Verwood is
relatively recent and it was only in the last century that
the settlement built its own small cob church which was
consecrated in 1829. Till then the village, together with
Alderholt, had been part of the huge parish of Cranborne.
Parochial Status for Verwood was granted in 1887.